World Mathematical Olympiad 10th Asian Finals

The World Mathematical Olympiad is an international Mathematics Competition that challenges the brightest mathematically gifted young people from all over the world with complex Math problems focused on creativity and problem-solving skills. The competition also builds the platform, not only for them to showcase mathematical skills, but also to communicate with each other in cultural exchange and friendship.

 

Since 2010, the WMO competitions have been held in the UK, the USA, Canada, Australia, Taiwan, China, Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam and Indonesia. It is hosted and supervised by the WMO Association and participated by over 20 countries. The WMO Association carries out the Math competition on the basis of STEM education. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. By exposing students to STEM-related concepts and how they relate to life make learning fun, interesting and relevant.

 

The competition comprises two events. The Individual Event is a written paper which makes up 70% of the total score. The Team Event, which makes up the remaining 30%, requires participants to work in tandem with other team members and apply innovative methods to complete a task, solve a problem or compete against another team in a match. The overall score is then tallied, and Gold medals are given to the top 10%, Silver medals to the next 20% and Bronze to the next 30%.

In February 2018, a total of 24 students (three teams) represented Singapore in the 10th Annual Asian Finals held in Singapore. These were selected from among the Gold medallists of the 2017 Annual Mathlympics For All Primary Schools which was jointly organised by Anglo-Chinese School (Independent), Learners' Connections, and Casio (Singapore). All our students did exceptionally well and they bagged 3 Golds, 9 Silvers, and 12 Bronze medals. In fact, two of our students had full scores which were the HIGHEST among 109 participants from China, Indonesia, Bali Green School (International), and the Philippines! We are extremely proud all their achievements!

You can view the photos showing some highlights of the Asian Finals in Singapore inside our Photo Albums tab. 

Our 24 heroes representing SIngapore in the 10th WMO Asian Finals

Upcoming Events

This year, we intend to field teams to the World Mathematical Olympiad Asian Finals again in July (exact date has not been fixed) to be held in Singapore, as well as the World Mathematical Olympiad World Cup to be held at Stanford University, USA, on 12 August.

To get a sense of the exciting events that go on in the World Cup, you can check out this video which was recorded at the 12th World Mathematical Olympiad World Cup held at Beijing, China in 2017.

My Mail Box 881009 

Singapore 919191

© 2018 by Learners' Connections Pte Ltd. Proudly created with Wix.com